Sunday, December 2, 2012

Szent Istvan Baszilica

If you remember from an earlier post we have a great phenomenon that happens here
every once in awhile called "Free Date Day"
When the Embassy celebrates an American holiday but the American school doesn't.
Leaving all these parents wondering what on earth they could do by themselves
for an entire day.
As I am sure you can all imagine it really is a struggle
to not be giddy about these kid free opportunities to do WHATEVER you want.
To be honest, I find I truly appreciate these holidays more then ever.
They really give us a reason to reflect on and celebrate the occasion.
Our latest "Free Date Day"
Veterans Day!
A pretty great day all on its own but just that much more special here. :D


Although the day was spent doing some unpleasant yet necessary errands in the morning
 we eventually got to have some fun time.
We hadn't explored the Basilica in Budapest yet and I was anxious to go,
because this one boasts some really thrilling attractions.
St. Stephens mummified hand is actually kept inside for your viewing pleasure
as well as the enticement to climb the never ending stairs to the top and get a birds
eye 360 degree view of the city.

A good day all in all.
S
On the top of St. Istvan (Stephen) Baszilica overlooking Budapest


another beautiful cathedral


                                        If you are squeamish now would be a good time to look away!



                     
I warned you!!

Pictures of The Szent Jobb (the holy right hand) in case you wanted detail.

The elaborate crypt the hand is kept in.
Normally you have to insert coins into a machine like a jukebox in order to see the display with the light on.
But luckily for us Cam and the guard were chit chatting (in Hungarian) and when they were done he
went back and flipped the switch on for free. He came back and told us he was supposed to do that
for Hungarians. Cam told him he wasn't Hungarian and the guard said oh I know, but your parents are because why else would you speak such good Hungarian.
Cam smiled and accepted the compliment.
Why argue with kindness.


I have sort of developed a crush on Boldog (Happy or Blessed) Queen Gizella. The wife of King Istvan.
I am not sure what has drawn me to her, but she always has the most stunning statues and
other forms of art displaying her beauty. 
King or Saint Stephen

There are two major bridges here named Erzsebet and Arpad.
One named after her and the other one named after one of her predecessors of the same Arpad house.
Elizabeth was married at 14 widowed at 20 and died at 24.
She relinquished her wealth to the poor and built hospitals where she herself served the sick.
I guess that pretty much qualifies her a Saint.


Son of Istvan and Gizella

No comments: