Wednesday, September 2, 2009

First Day

Mrs Coates his teacher

It has finally come after 6 years Mack's first day of all day Kindergarten... I had so many mixed emotions about my first born starting school.

I was EXCITED for this monumental milestone in his and my life...

I was WORRIED about his safety, his ability to be where he was supposed to be and not wandering off and finding him roaming around the town...
I was SCARED that he wouldn't take school seriously and get into all sorts of mischief...

I was SAD that this was the beginning of the end of my time with him, now that he was in school I knew I would lose all sorts of control.
The control of his schedule, the control of what influences surrounded him,
the control of his nutrition at lunch time...yes I am a control freak!!
But thanks to the inspired priesthood holder in my life
Cam gave Mackguire his back to school fathers blessing and was able to address all my concerns and comfort me through his words for Mack.
Cam had no idea I was having all those conflicting feelings.
How amazing our Father and Heaven is.
As if the blessing wasn't enough to comfort me I went to pick up
Mack from school and got rave reviews from him as well as his teacher...WHAT??
I hate to admit that I am a bit surprised, but being totally proud and thrilled trumps
the scepticism.
Mackguire is a changed man since starting school,
he is more responsible, happy, and his confidence level has skyrocketed. He has
kept his "green card" everyday so far. Which apparently isn't
as easy as it sounds. I am informed daily about how many
children have gotten "yellow and ever red cards" This
is going to be such an exciting year to witness all the changes. I am
so happy with my decision to start him a year later and have him be one of the oldest
in his class instead of one of the youngest ones. I am happy that I put him
in an all day kindergarten despite the 45 minute roundtrip commute.
I am happy that I have a little boy who is trying hard and
is showing me that all these years he hasn't been ignoring
my parental guidance.
As long as he is thriving it is all worth it...


3 comments:

The State of Our Family said...

I love the way you write! Aren't blogs just the best?!

Mary said...

It is always bitter sweet when one of your kids starts school. It sounds like Mac was ready for school though, you have done well in teaching not only Mac but all three of your boys. The condidence in Mac comes from having a wonderful mother.

Alisa said...

I hear you! And way to go Mac! You didn't cry, did you? We start all day today. I'm pacing until I can pick Jacob up from school and ask all the questions he probably won't answer.
PS. I enjoy reading about your family updates. When did Callan get so big?