Saturday, December 21, 2013

Zugspitze

See that ginormous rock behind our hotel? 
That is Zugspitze and you can get there one of two ways. 
By a train that carves through
the mountain or by a cable car.
We took both. Train up and cable car down.
Once there you can go to the lookout point and 
right at the top, an impressive 360° panorama opens up to reveal 
extensive views over 400 mountain peaks in four countries.
Of course when you are up there 
you have no idea where the borders 
are and there are no giant flags telling you
these are where the countries start.
You sort of have to take their word for it.
Which we did. :)

We skied for 2 days in Garmisch Germany 
before Christmas. One day we stayed on the traditional
hill while the boys all did ski school
and the next day we took them all
to ski in the bowl at the the top of Zugspitze.

It is safe to say that I had my fair share of heart palpitations
as I watched my little 5 year old make his way down the 
seemingly safe runs. 






the city of Garmisch as seen from the main ski hill.




a scrumptious lunch on a beautiful afternoon with this guy.



 These two along with their class happened to show up for lunch at the same sunny spot.





                                                     On the hour long train ride to the top.
Isn't he the cutest thing.



If memory serves…see I shouldn't wait so long to blog…
Cam and the boys were playing
some sort of game to pass the time for which they needed 
their helmets and goggles on. 
The train was quite safe and didn't require them. ;)



Mack was a little anxious to get started and 
thought stopping for a picture at the top was 
slightly unnecessary. But what kind of parent
would I be if I didn't make my children 
suffer through such torturous moments.



Ugh another picture Mom!!
I am so mean. :)




I made Callan sit for his picture
because...

This is what it looked like on the other side of the ledge.
See why the heart palpitations!!


I have some great little skiers!



 At the end of the day and before we headed down on the cable car
we went up to the lookout point.
It was beyond FREEZING!!


 There it is. 
THE VIEW FROM THE TOP!
Can you see Italy?

1 comment:

Cherie said...

SO amazing Heather the experiences your family is having!! Thanks for sharing them with us! :)